Humble Beginnings In 1938
First founded by William Montgomery Young in 1938 as a partnership with his wife,Nancy.William served as a dispatch rider during the first world war. On returning, he worked as an agricultural salesman for a local company.By 1938 he and Nancy decided it was time to go it alone and set up business in West Langlands street in kilmarnock, renting a section of the building and yard owned by R B Thomsons , Auctioneers.
By 1955 William and Nancy had gathered enough money to buy part of the old town Gas Works site next door.In order to build on the site they had to demolish the gas storage tank which left a 60ft hole to fill, on which a modern concrete beamed building was built by Howie of Dunlop.At the time it was the largest single span concrete frame in scotland.The limited company William Young(Kilmarnock)ltd, as it is today, was setup in 1957 to coincide with moving into the new permises.
The business has evolved through the years initially selling farm machinery.In the 60’s and 70’s industrial ironmongery and domestic hardware were added.In the 80’s we wholesaled a brand of farm machinery UK- wide but in the late 80’s we developed and manufactured our own slurry pumps and buckrakes under the YK brand.These sold well throughout the UK until BSE hit the farming community. Thereafter we closed down the manufacturing side of the business.
We have always sold garden machinery including small tractors, lawnmowers, chainsaws, hedge-cutters, blow-vacs, scarifiers, chippers/shredders, generators, air compressors,industrial paint etc.,alongside our very extensive ironmongery stock.We have also built up an extensive commercial/industrial property portfolio from the early 70’s to today and this runs alongside the trading business.